You walk on them, use them as décor and hang them on walls; a rug can be a real statement piece! But, what do you do when your rug is out of season or you no longer want in your home? Consider storing it until it’s needed again!
Let’s be honest, rugs aren’t cheap. If you’ve invested a good deal of money into your rug, protecting it during storage is often overlooked. In order to help protect your rug, we’ve compiled a list of the do’s and don’ts of rug storage– check them out!
The Do’s and Don’ts of Rug Storage
How to Clean a Rug
- Don’t: Store a Dirty Rug: Storing a dirty rug is essentially inviting mold and mildew to infiltrate your rug and items stored near it!
- Do: Check Manufacturer Approved Instructions and Vacuum and Clean Your Rug: Before storing your rug, vacuum it thoroughly to remove any dust, dirt, leftover food and pet hair. Once your rug has been vacuumed, it is important to check the manufacturer approved instructions for cleaning directions. Follow the rug cleaning directions as laid out on the manufacturer approved instructions. If you are unable to find these instructions, check online. Once the rug has been cleaned, allow it to thoroughly dry before storage.
How to Store a Rug
- Don’t: Fold Your Rug or Lay it Flat: Folding your rug and laying it flat can result in irreversible damage to your rug.
- Do: Roll Up the Rug and Store it Vertically: Always roll up your rug when storing it. Folding your rug can result in cracks and creases in the rug. When rolling the rug, always roll it in line with the grain. Place the rug vertically in the storage unit.
- Don’t: Forget to Check Up on Your Rug: Never abandon your storage unit for months at a time. If you need to address a problem in your storage unit, it is important that you do so as soon as possible.
- Do: Visit Your Storage Unit Every Couple of Months: Visiting your storage unit once in a while will reduce the likelihood that your items will become damaged. When visiting your storage unit, unroll your rug each time to check for any visible problems, and you might even realize it’s time to break that rug back out, along with your seasonal décor!
Reserve a Climate Controlled Rug Storage Unit with Beyond Self Storage!
Following the do’s and don’ts of rug storage will help to keep your rugs safe and damage-free while in storage. When storing your rug, use a climate-controlled storage unit to protect it from fluctuations in temperature and humidity. Beyond Self Storage has climate-controlled storage facilities in Pittsburgh, PA, Rochester Hills, MI, St Louis, MO, Chesterfield, MO, Maplewood, MN, Lenexa, KS, Sterling Heights, MI, Macomb, MI, Mt. Lebanon, PA, Commerce Township, MI, Arlington Heights, IL and Eagan, MI! Our Robinson and Ross storage facilities also offer storage solutions to those in the Pittsburgh, PA area. Reserve a 5×5, 5×10 or 10×10 storage unit for household storage needs today!